lundi 29 mai 2017

Bird Box - Josh Malerman





Title: Bird Box

Author: Josh Malerman

Publisher: Ecco

Rating: 5/5

Read in English






Pitch
Something is out there, something terrifying that must not be seen. One glimpse of it, and a person is driven to deadly violence. No one knows what it is or where it came from.
Five years after it began, a handful of scattered survivors remains, including Malorie and her two young children. Living in an abandoned house near the river, she has dreamed of fleeing to a place where they might be safe. Now that the boy and girl are four, it's time to go, but the journey ahead will be terrifying: twenty miles downriver in a rowboat--blindfolded--with nothing to rely on but her wits and the children’s trained ears. One wrong choice and they will die. Something is following them all the while, but is it man, animal, or monster?
Interweaving past and present, Bird Box is a snapshot of a world unraveled that will have you racing to the final page.

(Goodreads)

My review
I started this book with a lot of doubt. I don't really believe a book can be scary. But this book was really close to be fully scary. This one is more on the side of creepy. And god! It was creepy as hell and I loved it. At first, I was intrigued by the mystery of what happened to Malorie and the kids. 
What I loved the most about that story was how we go back and forth between past and present. It's really well done and it was different from the other books I read that did it. It was smooth and I barely felt it. I loved it. Really. It adds to the trip of Malorie and the kids. 
The atmosphere of the book is dark and creepy. At first, I didn't quite feel it. I was trying to figure out what was exactly going on. The more the story went on, the more I was engrossed in it. I was on the edge of my seat, always waiting for something bad to happen. And damn! some awful things happen! I'm far from being grossed out easily but on one occasion, I thought I was going to puke. It was really gross. 
Overall, this book is really creative and it's perfect for Halloween. Even if all the questions are not answered by the end of the book, we can only imagine what is going to happen, what is real or not. It was well-thought of the author not to give any answers. It makes the story even creepier. For once, I love not having all the answers I was looking for at the beginning. 

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire