mercredi 11 janvier 2017

Mr Mercedes (Bill Hodges #1) - Stephen King



Title : Mr Mercedes

Series : Bill Hodges #1

Author : Stephen King

Publisher : Albin Michel

Rating: 3/5

Read in French




Summary:
In the frigid pre-dawn hours, in a distressed Midwestern city, hundreds of desperate unemployed folks are lined up for a spot at a job fair. Without warning, a lone driver plows through the crowd in a stolen Mercedes, running over the innocent, backing up, and charging again. Eight people are killed; fifteen are wounded. The killer escapes.
In another part of town, months later, a retired cop named Bill Hodges is still haunted by the unsolved crime. When he gets a crazed letter from someone who self-identifies as the "perk" and threatens an even more diabolical attack, Hodges wakes up from his depressed and vacant retirement, hell-bent on preventing another tragedy.
Brady Hartfield lives with his alcoholic mother in the house where he was born. He loved the feel of death under the wheels of the Mercedes, and he wants that rush again.
Only Bill Hodges, with a couple of highly unlikely allies, can apprehend the killer before he strikes again. And they have no time to lose, because Brady’s next mission, if it succeeds, will kill or maim thousands.
Mr. Mercedes is a war between good and evil, from the master of suspense whose insight into the mind of this obsessed, insane killer is chilling and unforgettable.
(Goodreads)

My review:
 My second book from Stephen King and... it wasn't his best or maybe it was my timing that was bad. Between the Mercedes that drives straight into a crowd and another attack (I won't talk about it since it is quite important in the book and that means spoiler), I couldn't help but think of the terrorists attacks in Paris and Nice. So, it was quite hard for me to read about quite similar events into the book. 
Next, the book is slow-building. The beginning is hard, I felt like pedaling in quicksand. For a moment, I thought about DNFing it. I read a few chapters that did not convinced me at all. But, since I had a tedious family diner to go through, I found myself reading it to escape boredom. 
When the story really started, it wasn't that bad. I didn't like the characters (none of them) but each one brings his stone to the wall through their weaknesses and problems. Bill Hodges, the old officer barely retired, didn't touch me, his young friend Jerome even less with his habit of talking like an illiterate black boy even though he really is clever... The female characters are even worse. The only one that is not as bad is the killer in the Mercedes. Unfortunately, I have a thing for thrillers and I read about killers who were way more believable and deep than this one.
Honestly, I didn't like it that much and the ending didn't convinced me. Compared to the start, the following chapters went crescendo but there was no amazing ending. The only thing that saved it was the very last mini chapter. That one was quite nice.
But, overall, that book didn't left a strong impression on me and I don't think I'm going to go on with this trilogy. BUT I won't give up on Stephen King. I'll just read his other works!

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire