vendredi 16 décembre 2016

Red Rising (Red Rising #1) - Pierce Brown



Title : Red Rising

Series : Red Rising #1

Author : Pierce Brown

Publisher : Del Rey (Random House)

Rating: 5+/5

Read in French




Summary:
Darrow is a Red, a member of the lowest caste in the color-coded society of the future. Like his fellow Reds, he works all day, believing that he and his people are making the surface of Mars livable for future generations.
Yet he spends his life willingly, knowing that his blood and sweat will one day result in a better world for his children.
But Darrow and his kind have been betrayed. Soon he discovers that humanity already reached the surface generations ago. Vast cities and sprawling parks spread across the planet. Darrow—and Reds like him—are nothing more than slaves to a decadent ruling class.
Inspired by a longing for justice, and driven by the memory of lost love, Darrow sacrifices everything to infiltrate the legendary Institute, a proving ground for the dominant Gold caste, where the next generation of humanity's overlords struggle for power. He will be forced to compete for his life and the very future of civilization against the best and most brutal of Society's ruling class. There, he will stop at nothing to bring down his enemies... even if it means he has to become one of them to do so.
(Goodreads)

My review:
This book is amazing. I don't have other words to describe it. I loved it and I got hooked without even knowing how.
The beginning is a bit slow. I didn't like all that part where Darrow is in the mine. But after, it grows, it grows and it grows and it explodes and I loved every bit. The world is incredibly well built and everything is explained. My only (really teeny tiny) problem was to go back to the Colors pyramid at the beginning since I couldn't remember all of them and what they meant.
Darrow may be a really credible character, he's not my favorite. I love Sevro, the psychopath, way more. This guy is completely weird and psychotic and I adored him. Even though he doesn't appear enough for me. But I also liked Pax and Tactus who are just incredible. I liked Cassius bipolar side. But I didn't really liked Mustang.
The story is complex, addictive and just completely amazing. The world Pierce Brown created is dark and tough, really different from the usual dystopias. I didn't think I would like it at first since Darrow was quite unnerving (and don't get me started on his wife). But, honestly, this world is so dark and violent and oppressive that I loved it. It's completely the type of atmosphere that I love. And mixing dystopia and almost horror... A combination that I simply loved. Moreover, to make everything better: it happens on Mars!
Seriously, this book is a must-read and I NEED to read the next books!

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire