mardi 20 décembre 2016

City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments #5) - Cassandra Clare




Title: City of Lost Souls

Series: The Mortal Instruments #5

Author : Cassandra Clare

Publisher: Margaret McElderry Books

Rating: 3/5

Listened to in English




Summary:
What price is too high to pay, even for love? When Jace and Clary meet again, Clary is horrified to discover that the demon Lilith’s magic has bound her beloved Jace together with her evil brother Sebastian, and that Jace has become a servant of evil. The Clave is out to destroy Sebastian, but there is no way to harm one boy without destroying the other. As Alec, Magnus, Simon, and Isabelle wheedle and bargain with Seelies, demons, and the merciless Iron Sisters to try to save Jace, Clary plays a dangerous game of her own. The price of losing is not just her own life, but Jace’s soul. She’s willing to do anything for Jace, but can she still trust him? Or is he truly lost?
Love. Blood. Betrayal. Revenge. Darkness threatens to claim the Shadowhunters in the harrowing fifth book of the Mortal Instruments series.
(Goodreads)

My review
I'm still wondering why Cassandra Clare has kept this series going. This book is long, the characters are annoying (except for Alec and Magnus), the chapters are never-ending...
Thankfully, I had the audiobook because, without it, I would never have been able to go to the end. First, because of the chapters. I like long books, don't get me wrong. But if there's one thing I loathe, it's long, never-ending chapters and this book has nothing but that. Every single chapter is so long it's been killing me and, even with the audiobook, I always ended up losing interest somewhere. Honestly, it was so very, very, very long...And don't get me started on the long sentences that break the rhythm, the details that appear everywhere, sometimes useless and repetitive... Because of it, the style becomes heavy and difficult to read...
To make matters worse, the characters are just so... unnerving. Clary is annoying, Jace is a fake martyr, Isabelle made me want to throw cream tarts in her face and I'm not even speaking about Maia and Jordan. Especially Jordan, in fact. The only ones I liked are Alec and Magnus. This couple is just adorable and funny and cute and I love them. They are my favorite and I'm starting to believe I'm going to finish this series only to know what happens to them (and because the books were gifts...)
Sebastian is caricatural, completely over the top. And this story he tells Clary somewhere around the end...! Gosh! I don't know where Cassie Clare found this but this is seriously messed up! Nonetheless, Sebastian is like the bad guy from a children's book.
Moreover, the whole plot of the book is Jace and his "possession". To be honest, he didn't seem that much different from usual to me... But since I don't give much care to this annoying blondie... And Clary, the lovesick puppy who loses all sense of rationality...
Well, I didn't liked that book very much even if it had potential. The only last thing, I was furious about what Cassie did to Alec and Magnus around the end of the book. My favorite characters! How dared she?! Just to make sure she makes it up, I started the last book... And damn! My review will look like a copy and paste of this one, I see this coming...

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire