mercredi 23 novembre 2016

The Girl on the Train - Paula Hawkins




Title: The Girl on the Train

Author: Paula Hawkins

Publisher: Black Swan

Rating: 5/5

Read in English





Summary:
Rachel catches the same commuter train every morning. She knows it will wait at the same signal each time, overlooking a row of back gardens. She’s even started to feel like she knows the people who live in one of the houses. ‘Jess and Jason’, she calls them. Their life – as she sees it – is perfect. If only Rachel could be that happy.
And then she sees something shocking. It’s only a minute until the train moves on, but it’s enough.
Now everything’s changed. Now Rachel has a chance to become a part of the lives she’s only watched from afar.
Now they’ll see; she’s much more than just the girl on the train…
(Goodreads)

My review:
I started this book without expecting much of it. The hype was so huge about it that I thought I wouldn't like it since I'm often disappointed by hyped books. But this one was truly amazing. 
We discover Rachel, an alcoholic who always takes the same train everyday. She fantasizes about the people she sees from the train and imagines their lives. And then, everything changes when a woman disappears. Rachel decides to say all she knows, all she's seen from the train. 
And then, chaos unfolds. Rachel thinks she knows them, she wants to be a part of their lives in a more realistic way than she used to from the train. The disappearance of that woman is her chance to enter the world of the people she watched everyday, of whom she imagined the life. 
The suspense in this book is amazingly done. I didn't know where Paula Hawkins was taking me but I followed her all along with great pleasure. Rachel isn't a likable character. She's pitiful, she's alcoholic and she does awful things when she's drunk. Her flatmate Cathy is even worse. Actually, none of the characters are very likeable.
But the worse of the worse was definitely Anna. I could not stand her at all, from beginning to end. The way she thinks, the way she acts... I would have slapped her plenty if I could have. This woman is the absolute worst. 
The plot is great. I develops slowly, giving us just enough clues along the way. And the clues are so well hidden that I didn't see them before the answer to the mystery was given. 
And, OMG, let me tell you, I wasn't expecting this! 
One of the things I loved most about this book is that I suspected almost everyone BUT the real culprit. How could I not see that coming, seriously?! Usually, I find the culprit way before the end but on this one, I didn't and that was amazing! I loved it and now, I really want to see the movie and I hope it will be as great as the book.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire