mercredi 15 juin 2016

Shadowlands (Shadowlands #1) by Kate Brian



Title: Shadowlands

Series: Shadowlands #1

Author: Kate Brian

Publisher: Disney-Hyperion

Rating: 4.7/5

Read in French




Summary:
Rory Miller had one chance to fight back and she took it. Rory survived and the serial killer who attacked her escaped. Now that the infamous Steven Nell is on the loose, Rory must enter the witness protection with her father and sister, Darcy, leaving their friends and family without so much as a goodbye.
Starting over in a new town with only each other is unimaginable for Rory and Darcy. They were inseparable as children, but now they can barely stand each other. As the sisters settle in to Juniper Landing, a picturesque vacation island, it seems like their new home may be just the fresh start they need. They fall in with a group of beautiful, carefree teens and spend their days surfing, partying on the beach, and hiking into endless sunsets. But just as they're starting to feel safe again, one of their new friends goes missing. Is it a coincidence? Or is the nightmare beginning all over again?
(Goodreads)

My review:
I didn't know what to expect when I first started this book. I bought it because of the gorgeous cover and because of the author. I know Kate Brian since my freshman year in high school and I loved her previous books. With this one, there's a change in genre and I loved it just the same. It's a fast and easy read, perfect for the summer (we will see it one day, here in rainy France!) 
From the first chapter, it's action-packed. We discover Rory from the point of view of the math teacher. All the novel is built like a huge run to escape the killer who decided to kill Rory and her family. We follow Rory in her escape, see her try to get the pieces of her life back together in Juniper Landing.
I think Rory's stress is totally believable. The nightmares, the panic... She's a victim who got brutally assaulted and who knows the killer is not done with her just yet. Everything is a threat for her. 
I hated her sister. I cannot understand how Rory puts up with such a whiny brat nor how she can be so willing to protect her and comfort her. 
The mystery is complete and the killer's point of view leads us on all along the book. Like Rory, we never imagine what really goes on in Juniper Landing. Well, I have to say the hot Tristan Parrish may be to blame for this. Mysterious, with a dangerous aura... 
The only thing that really bothered me is the final fight. It's blurry, messy, fast dealt with, without violence or realism. I was expecting something else. I was waiting for a real climax, danger and blood. Which I didn't have any bit of. I just got a blurry image of a catfight. And that is disappointing. Big time.
BUT (there's always a but), the ending is AMAZING. The last sentences are powerful and make the whole point of the book. They took me by surprise. I had doubts but some things were still leading me on pretty good so... And still, it was not completely what I had imagined it was. I didn't think it was including Tristan and his gang... 
Still, I loved this book and I read it real fast. I will definitely read the next two books to know more about what's going to happen to Rory and to Tristan and the others. I really hope there will be at least one good fight scene in the following books...

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire