mercredi 22 juin 2016

Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass #2) by Sarah J. Maas



Title: Crown of Midnight

Series: Throne of Glass #2

Author: Sarah J. Maas

Publisher: Bloomsbury

Rating: Favorite

Read in English




Summary
From the throne of glass rules a king with a fist of iron and a soul as black as pitch. Assassin Celaena Sardothien won a brutal contest to become his Champion. Yet Celaena is far from loyal to the crown. She hides her secret vigilantly; she knows that the man she serves is bent on evil.
Keeping up the deadly charade becomes increasingly difficult when Celaena realizes she is not the only one seeking justice. As she tries to untangle the mysteries buried deep within the glass castle, her closest relationships suffer. It seems no one is above questioning her allegiances—not the Crown Prince Dorian; not Chaol, the Captain of the Guard; not even her best friend, Nehemia, a foreign princess with a rebel heart.
Then one terrible night, the secrets they have all been keeping lead to an unspeakable tragedy. As Celaena's world shatters, she will be forced to give up the very thing most precious to her and decide once and for all where her true loyalties lie... and whom she is ultimately willing to fight for.
 
(Goodreads)

My review:
I liked the first book but this one blew my mind away. I had the worst book hungover ever after finishing this one and I don't think I will forget it any time soon. 
The whole book is orchestrated with a majesty and a mastermind that I didn't see in the first novel. Celeana is still the same yet, she changes slightly, letting us see parts of her that we didn't know yet. She gets tangled in the intrigue of the court and of the heart. I loved the romance part in this book. It's light, not overwhelming and it doesn't take over the whole plot. It just slide swiftly with the rest. Moreover, it's believable, complicated and it has the consequences it ought to have. 
Usually, I can solve the plot before the author does but in this one, the obvious one was a given (for me, at least) and the secondary one, the one that lies under everything else, was a shock. The way Sarah J. Maas throws it at us was... incredible! I didn't see it coming at all and leaving us on that?! What the heck?! 
Some awful things happen in this book and, yet, I didn't shed a tear for what happens to Nehemia. I didn't really like her. She's not the character I like best so... I was touched by Celeana's reaction but the happening in itself... It is well-written but since I felt no attachment whatsoever to Nehemia... 
On the contrary, what happens to Dorian left me waiting for more. I was anxious and expecting everything to go awfully wrong at any time. Just like him. This guy has the worst luck in the world. Seriously. And I love him. 
Just like I love Chaol. No, I still can't decide which one of the two I like more. The guy has good intentions, he wants to protect those he loves but, man! He messes most things up! And the ending of the book was like a punch-in-the-face kind of thing for him. When I read it, my mom thought I was completely crazy since a was gasping, whining and repeating "naaaaah! That's not true! Dang it! I can't believe it! There HAS TO BE another chapter! That cannot be true, right?". (I omitted the bad words). 
So yes, this book is one of the best I read so far this year and I read some that were really good. But this one is a masterpiece in messing my mind up!

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire