lundi 4 janvier 2016

Insurgent (Divergent #2) by Veronica Roth




Title: Insurgent

Series: Divergent #2

Author: Veronica Roth

Publisher: Harper Collins

Rating: 2.5/5

Read in French



Summary:
Tris's initiation day should have been marked by celebration and victory with her chosen faction; instead, the day ended with unspeakable horrors. War now looms as conflict between the factions and their ideologies grows. And in times of war, sides must be chosen, secrets will emerge, and choices will become even more irrevocable—and even more powerful. Transformed by her own decisions but also by haunting grief and guilt, radical new discoveries, and shifting relationships, Tris must fully embrace her Divergence, even if she does not know what she may lose by doing so...
(Goodreads)

My review
I loved the first book. After Hunger Games, Divergent was the first dystopian book I read and I loved it. Everything about it was amazing. The cover, the story, the characters... 
Then, university happened, the impossibility to keep up with the series... But here I come! I read the second book. 
And I hated it.
I had a tough time remembering the details of the first book and I was too lazy to read it again. It was ages ago that I read the first book and I was somewhat lost. Maybe it didn't help me enter this world and caused my bad opinion about it. But there's more to it.
Tris. There's Tris. My biggest problem. I didn't remember her being so whiny and repetitive. We understood that she killed Will but there's no need to say it on almost every page! I can understand that she can't hold a gun anymore, that she's shocked, that it left a trace. But, honestly, it's not a reason to say it over and over again! 
Then comes Christina's forgiving. It was too easy. She's pissed at Tris and, without me really understanding how and why, the light shined and she realized that Tris didn't have that much of a choice and that she should forgive her. A solution way too easy for my taste.
When I closed the book, I had the feeling this volume was a weak bridge between the first and the last books. Like a transitory period. Like the author couldn't write a two-book series and so, she wrote this volume in between. 
It really was a bitter feeling because I know it comes from the romance. I love Tobias, he even is one of the only good points of the book. But those fights with Tris rubbed me off the wrong way. This book revolves around those fights, stupid and useless for most. The youth of the character stands out even more (especially because of the language they use but maybe it comes from the translation, I don't know) and it annoyed me.
But not everything is bad. There's a really good point. The fight scenes are really well written. They are powerful and they give life to this book. Without them, I don't think I would have finished it.
I know I will make enemies bu saying all this but these are my genuine thoughts. I really was disappointed by this book. I hope the last one will be better even if I was spoiled real bad... I already started it and I'm not really optimistic about it...

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire