mercredi 20 janvier 2016

Duchess by Night (Desperate Duchesses #3) by Eloisa James



Title : Duchess by Night

Series: Desperate Duchesses #3

Author: Eloisa James

Publisher: Avon

Rating: 4.5/5

Read in French




Summary:
Harriet, Duchess of Berrow, is tired of her title and the responsibilities that come along with it. Enough with proper tea parties and elegant balls; what Harriet really wants is to attend an outrageous soiree where she can unleash her wildest whims and desires. But to attend such an event—especially if the event in question is Lord Justinian Strange's rollicking fete, filled with noble rogues and rotters, risqué ladies and illicit lovers—would be certain scandal. That's why she must disguise herself . . .
Looking forward to a night of uninhibited pleasure, Lord Strange is shocked to discover that beneath the clothes of a no-good rake is the most beautiful woman in the room. Why is a woman like her risking her reputation at his notorious affair? And can he possibly entice her to stay . . . forever?
(Goodreads)

My review

I honestly believe this book is my favorite of the series. For once, the Beaumont aren't really there and I was able to live Harriet's story fully.
Story that I loved for its originalité and its humour. 
Harriet has been introduced in the first volume and was... useless. I never thought I would like her story when it comes. But this book made me laugh, was relaxing and I loved it. especially that I found the classic format of that kind of romance novels. Without the ever-too-present Jemma, it was finally almost perfect. 
I say almost since, of course, there are some stuff that were a bit off for me. It's just a question of personnal taste against cliché moments and, sometimes, too easy problem-solving or creation of a problem.
Moreover, as much as I liked Jem, I would have liked him a bit more... like his reputation. Same goes for wanting the author to go further in this "craziness" of Strange about that M. Cole situation. I was expecting something from Jem's point of view but Eloisa James didn't give away much of it and that was the worst! I wanted more!
Harriet revealed herself to be an endearing character and far from what I saw of her in the first two books. Say goodbye to the boring duchess who still suffers of her husband suicide. This side of her almost totally disappeared and it makes her more likeable and less annoying and pathetic but it should still have been a deeper part of her. It bothers me a bit.
Despite those few petty things, I loved this book. Harriet in a man's shoes was so good I read it in a few hours. But I had to say those few things to make a true review that just doesn't say "I loved it!!!". Seriously, this book was far better than the first two. Now, I really want to read Isidore's story to see what's going to happen to her seeing how things evolved for her!

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire